The Pathology service offers a full range of histological techniques for all our researchers and is well equipped to perform a wide range of tissue-based procedures on human and non-human samples. The service provides support to a variety of research projects and offers expert advice on existing procedures.
The Pathology service is open to collaborations to develop new procedures/techniques for any potential new projects. This service is available to other Queen Mary departments and to external users.
- Fixed tissue - processing (embedding in paraffin wax) and cutting of sections.
- Serial sectioning and sections cut on Palm slides.
- Frozen tissue - cutting of sections.
- Haematoxylin & Eosin (H&E) staining of frozen and paraffin sections.
- Automated Immunohistochemistry (IHC) staining.
- Includes testing antibodies to human and mouse antigens.
The Pathology Service uses a range of equipment to automate all the steps from tissue processing to staining and has Ventana Discovery and XT systems.
Models used include:
- Leica ST5010 autostainer and coverslipper (Autostainer XL and CV5030 - Coverslipper) - The Leica Autostainer XL is a robotic staining system for performing all our H&E staining; this system can be adapted for other standard routine staining methods. Please enquire if any other standard staining is required. The Autostainer is attached to a Leica CV5030 fully automated glass coverslipper. This produces slides with superior optical quality for reliable long-term storage. It is designed to coverslip microscope glass slides bearing tissue sections.
- Leica ASP300 Tissue Processor - Fully enclosed tissue processor that is designed for routine and research histopathology.
- Leica RM2255 rotary microtome- Designed for fully motorised sectioning of paraffin embedded specimens, our service offers a broad application spectrum in routine and research histology specimens.
- Leica CM3050 S cryostat - Precise specimen orientation and specimen feed system via a step motor mechanism that ensures reproducible thin serial frozen sections of maximum quality.